Employment Skills Training (6 weeks): Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:00pm
This is a 6-week IN CLASS development and training session.
During this phase, trainees will participate in workshops and individual counselling that promotes personal and professional growth.
The 4 pillars of the program are: Accountability, Self-Awareness, Communication and Life Skills.
Personal accountability is not a trait that people are born with. It is a way of living that is learned and is not easy to change. This as a core value of this process and we commit to walking beside you.
Some of the ways trainees will learn to be personally accountable are:
- Taking ownership of situations that you are involved in – good or bad
- Not blaming others if things go wrong and doing your best to make things right
- Ensuring you are at work every day and on time
- Completing tasks and assignments on time
Self-awareness plays a critical role in how we understand ourselves and how we relate to other people.
Some of the ways trainees will learn to become self-aware are:
- Developing skills to align your thoughts, emotions and actions with your personal values
- Objectively evaluating and improving your ability to manage your emotions
- Understanding how others see you
Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you say one thing the other person hears something else? This can result in misunderstandings, frustration, and even conflict. Effective communication is a learned skill. Learning good communication skills helps us to avoid problems in our personal and professional lives.
Some of the ways trainees will learn to develop communication skills are:
- Paying attention to non-verbal body language
- Keeping stress in check during tough conversations
- Developing assertive communication techniques
- Becoming an active listener
Some of the workshops covered are:
- Skill Identification
- Resume and cover letter writing
- Basic Microsoft Office training
- Health and Safety
- First Aid/CPR
- Safe Food Handling
- Smart Serve (optional)
Internal Job Placement (10 weeks): Monday to Friday 8am-3:30pm
Ray of Hope Community Centre: In this position, trainees will work in a commercial kitchen environment helping to prepare the meals in large quantities for our Community Centre guests. Trainees will be part of a team that will:
- wash, dice, shred, cube, de-bone/de-skin food products (fruit, veg, bread, meat, dairy)
- re-package, label and store food appropriately
- un-package and sort dry/ fresh/ frozen goods as needed
- portion fruit and yogurt
- sanitize work spaces and wash dishes
- inventory control
- serve guests coffee, breakfast and lunch
External Job Placement (10 weeks): Schedule determined by Employer
External placements vary depending on the Employer’s needs. Flexibility is required. You may be asked to work days, afternoons, evenings and/or weekends.
Our goal is to provide trainees with a meaningful external job placement that aligns with their current skills, education, experience and interests. Most placements will be entry level positions.
NEW: We have developed a new hybrid model that provides opportunities to move directly from phase 1 to phase 3. This means that the external work placement would then be 20 weeks long. The contract remains 26 weeks long.
- A team of people walking beside you to encourage, challenge and support you
- Weekly one-on-one life coaching
- A bus pass or reimbursement for mileage up to $90/month
- Breakfast and lunch during Phase 1
- Support with childcare costs (if needed)
- Work uniforms, shoes and clothing for interviews